My new Bass
jollyr465
2010-01-11 07:44:12 UTC
I just got rid of my 35 scale 5 string Carvin XP bass, with pezos in the bridge & I picked up a used USA G&L L2500 that I fell in love with. I stopped at the music store to kill some time, when I saw this really pretty used G&L L2500 that just seemed to be calling to me, to come over there & pick her up & play her. Then after that, I just couldn't put her down. I'd play the Carvin, then back to the G&L, then back to the Carvin & finally back to the G&L. I even picked up one of those MTD Z5s & an Ibanez Prestige BTB1500. But ended back up with the G & L every time. Then I just couldn't put the G&L down. It felt like I was in love for the very first time & this bass had just stolen my heart. This is my first G&L Bass & I'm sold on G&L now. What a great bass & so versatile too. With this bas
s I can get any tone I want & then some.

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
bassplace-***@yahoogroups.com
bassplace-***@yahoogroups.com

bassplace-***@yahoogroups.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
r***@sbcglobal.net
2010-01-11 08:09:46 UTC
If you want to find info on your new bass (its approx age, etc), there is a forum for G&L that has some info on dating, plus a registry.

jollyr465
2010-01-11 21:12:26 UTC
Cool, what's the name of that site & thanks for that info too. Your a G&L man yourself, if I remember right. Is yours a L2500 or an L2000. Man, what a great Bass. I've been using my 1980 Fender Jazz 1975 reissue that's been hot-roded out with DP149 ultra jazz pick-ups & a Gotoh high mass bridge, as my main Bass. It's a very versatile bass also. I love that Fender so much , that I sleep with that bass, since my divorce. It's always treated me better than the ex anyway & never complains or gives me any trouble what so ever. It's become kind of a weird love a fare. Now I've got two baby's & both designed by Leo the man. I've got six basses: two Gibson's, a T-bird & a Les Paul, two Fender Jazz basses a 62 reissue & my sweet baby girl the 75 reissue, a 63 Hofner 500/1 & now my new baby girl the G&L L2500. I'm a weird dude I know, but who cares. As long as I can hold down the bottom end & play in the pocket, I'm good. Thanks again for the info.
Rick

r***@sbcglobal.net
2010-01-12 06:44:31 UTC
The site is guitarsbyleo.com. Yes, I proudly own a 1985 Mahogany L2000. It actually came from that forum. I'd had an early S500 guitar (my 2nd electric guitar, 1st was a Gibby Paul Custom), and when I switched to bass, I placed a notice that I wanted to trade. I had over a dozen offers within fifteen minutes. This was what I felt was the pick of the litter.

You've just got to love the genius of Leo Fender. He gave so much to the world of music. He was working on a bass design on his last day at G&L. The prototype was to be shown to him the next morning, a morning that never came to pass. That instrument was never released by G&L.

I love my L2K for its versatility. It can do P bass thump and J bass growl, plus a whole lot more.

jollyr465
2010-01-12 19:03:20 UTC
Thanks for the info. There's only one thing left to do to my new baby & that's a good setup, When I get down to the Bay area on Thursday, for Band practice. I'll drop it off with my tech & he'll take care of that. Then, as soon as I get it back, it's going to be sharing playing time with my beloved 75 reissue. I know some people would say, why don't you do it yourself. I would, but I really suck at doing set-ups. The last time I tried to do my own set-up, was on my Gibson T-Bird & I managed to rip out the Bridge. That was an expensive repair that could of been avoided. So after that, I said: from now, I'm going to let my tech take care set-ups & things like that. He used to work for the Doobies Brothers as their tech, from The Captain & Me up until Living On The Fault-Line. He's real good & knows how I like my set-ups, plus I've known Mark for about fifteen years. After he finished the repair to my T-Bird , you can't even tell that I ripped out the bridge & it's a white T-Bird with black hardware too. That's why it's going to Mark, instead of me doing it & possibly damaging it.

Steve Molk
2010-01-12 19:18:59 UTC
Hey,

Nothing wrong with sending it out if you are not sure.

I normally do everything for myself but when I got my 6 stringer it needed a nut job. Well, I don't own. 130" file  for the low B or .105 for a for the E....

A file set is like $125. Chuck at Arrohead Music in Mentor, Ohio (Yea, that was a shameless plug) did it for $75 and that included setting the trus rodsI

Let's see $125 for files I will never use again or $75 to get the job done for me,,,,,I'm happy and I had somthing like 50 bucks to spend on beer over buying the files.

Sometimes you are a lot better off sending it out.

Later

Steve

________________________________

bluesbrian

mark monillas
2010-01-21 15:09:09 UTC
brian, I do bass setups', and have been doing so for over 30 years. i also do guitar setups. and have been doing them for bout the same time. if interested. talk to me offline. my email is ***@yahoo.com

Yo Victa, whatsoever you do, remember this here. You can't hold no groove, If you ain't got no pocket !

jollyr465

bluesbrian

jollyr465

mark monillas
2010-01-25 02:22:36 UTC
i do work in alameda.. soo after work depending on where in the east bay you are..  we can meet up, adjusting the string height is quick  setting intonation is a little more time consuming, it can all be done pretty quickly tho. i won't be at work in alameda on mon or tues tho.. i have a special work thing in sac.but will be back at work on wed.

stevieg882002
2010-01-27 20:03:35 UTC
Greetings, Jollyr,

I very much would like the phone number for Mr. Brown in Campbell. I have been looking for a decent electric bass luthier in the Bay Area for some time. This will be valuable for me to have. I have someone nearby for any necessary work on my upright. By the way, do you know if Mr. Brown, or anyone else for that matter can work on or advise re: Chapman Sticks. I have two and the MIDI Stick simply baffles me.

The odd thing is that I am a software engineer as well as a bassist so computers I got down and music I got down where they meet (MIDI) however remains a black art to me so far. I hope to change this though it just seems a bit overwhelming.

I have been going to Fat Dawg in Berkeley with no problem though admittedly he is a guitar specialist rather than
bass.

Thanks in advance.

jollyr465